We try to sit down as a family for dinner as often as possible, but it doesn’t always work. There are young kids, late trains, sporting practices, and you get the picture. Sometimes dinner is just sort of a-Hey guys there is food here eat it. So when we do sit down together we hold hands and pray, then we go around the table and discuss the best parts of our day. The kids love it. They ask for it. They are super pumped to share with the whole family. Sometimes we add other questions into the mix like- What was the worst part of your day, the weirdest part, or What superhero power would have made the day better? There are some days that the kids have nothing much to offer, there are days when some kids share a lot and others are quiet, but then there are days when the whole table is completely animated with stories, laughter, and support. They love the routine of talking about the best part, but I think throwing in surprise questions really offers them the chance to think about their day and their view of the world in a different way. I have compiled a 35 questions to ask my kids over the the couple months as we gather to eat dinner as a family. They are sure to get the kids talking and I look forward to what they have to say on these subjects.
1. If you ran your school for day what would it look like?
2. If you could teach our pet any trick what would it be?
3. If your life was a book what would the title be?
4. If you could only bring 3 things on a deserted island what would they be?
5. What can you do to help make a friend happy?
6. Talk about a time you tried something new. Was it scary, fun or exciting? How do you feel about it now?
7. Think about our family traditions. Which ones do you love? Which ones would you change and why?
8.Pick a spirit animal and tell us why you picked it.
9. What is something you could have done better today?
10. If our house were on fire what 2 items would you save?
11. What are your talents or special gifts?
12. If you could stay up all night what would you do?
13. If you could travel anywhere where would you go?
14.What is your favorite season and why?
15. What are some of your current struggles?
16.If you could only eat one type of food everyday what would it be?
17. If you could spend the day with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
18. What are you most afraid of?
19. If you won the lottery what would you do with the money?
20. What is your biggest pet peeve?
21. If you had to lose one of your 5 senses which one would it be and why?
22. If you could be a character from any book, tv show, or movie who would it be and why?
23. When do you feel most loved?
24. If you could ask God one question what would it be?
25. Go around the table and say your favorite quality about each person.
26.If you could talk to the President what would you say?
27. If you were famous what would you be famous for?
28. If you could plan our family vacation where would we go and what would we do?
29. If your pets could talk what would they say?
30. If you could be any age what age would you be?
31. If you could pick any tv character to spend the day with who would it be?
32. What is something you would like to learn?
33. Describe your perfect day.
34. What is the best and worst part of being a part of this family?
35. Which superhero do you most relate to?
I hope you try some of these too and start a tradition of table talking and sharing with your family.